Sunday, March 4, 2012

A New York Kinda Weekend

Well it was officially the first weekend of March and my only weekend of March that I'll be in the city so I set off to enjoy every last inch of it!

Friday was the perfect night. I got home from work and didn't move from the couch until it was time for bed! The only part of me that didn't rest was my wallet. I purchased a new package of yoga classes as well as a new package of boxing classes. I knew that after Thursday night's meditation class I wanted to get back into yoga, so I took the plunge. I really missed that time to myself so I'm looking forward to starting that back up this week!

Saturday morning Jenn and I had a date to run in Central Park. It was raining when we got up but very lightly so we decided to give it a go. Needless to say maybe it wasn't the brightest idea. It ended up being a very cold, very wet run. But don't worry we were not the only crazies out there. The NYC half marathon is coming up in a couple of weeks so the park was packed! We set off to do two loops around the lower loop which is about a 5K and was what our training schedule called for but we didn't make it. We had a solid 2 miles and then walked the third finishing the full three miles in just under 35 minutes which is right on par. I know part of the issue was the rain but the other is the fact that both of us normally run of the FDR which is just a flat, fast run. My goal for this week is while running the treadmill to mix it up a bit. Add some inclines and some speed to my runs to try to simulate more of a real run in the park. After our run we enjoyed a nice greasy breakfast and then were off on our separate ways.




Saturday night was a night on the town with the All Souls gang. One of the volunteers is an actor so a group of 50 of us went to see his play Hand to God as a fundraiser. It was hilarious to say the least. Almost like Avenue Q on crack. I would highly recommend it to anyone in the city looking for a good off broadway show! After the show everyone headed to a bar nearby for drinks and drinks were had. It is always enjoyable to get to spend some time outside of the kitchen with everyone as each of us comes from such different walks of life. You have your hedge fund kids, your professional singers, photographers and even those that work in cancer research. Needless to say its never a dull moment and I'm so glad to have found this group.

We were out pretty late so today was spent mostly lounging around. Then this evening Derrick and I ventured off to the west side. Last night the bar we were at was next to a restaurant called Empanada Mama which everyone raved about so I knew I would be heading there eventually, I just didn't think it would be so soon! Everyone was right and we had a delicious dinner with empanadas galore! After dinner we headed to Le Parker Meridien to our favorite coffee bar and enjoyed some cappuccinos (mine with a shot of amaretto) and the stylings of Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday and more of the greats. About an hour of relaxation later we made one last pit stop before heading home. Magnolia Bakery. I indulged in a vanilla cake and chocolate buttercream cupcake while Derrick stuck to his favorite; an oatmeal raisin cookie. At this point I needed to be rolled home so I knew that the night was coming to a close.

While I didn't have the most amazing run Saturday and my cross training today consisted of walking from one food establishment to the next, I can honestly say this weekend was right up my alley. It's not often that I have weekends to enjoy the city and its sounds and smells and passion, so when I do, I live it up.

I also finished my book for book club which is 3 weeks away! It's called Room by Emma Donoghue. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good book! And if you have any recommendations for me I'm all ears!

I know this week will be filled with yoga and running and some boxing so I'm looking forward to that. Throw in a few hours of work each day along with some volunteering and a night out with friends and you have the recipe for a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment