Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Everyone Needs a Kelso

Every single morning, my colleague Kelso runs 5 miles. 5 miles! Every day! Every SINGLE day! I've always marveled at this (for the last 5 months that I've known her) and have been trying to get her to sign up for races with me but to no avail. Kelso runs for herself. She doesn't need to show anyone that she can run further or faster than them or that she can finish a race. She knows she can.

It's always made me think - why am I running these races? Why don't I just run every day and be done with it. The truth is, I used to do that, and at some point along the way, it no longer became fun for me. I needed something to work toward, which is where these races have come in and more importantly it is just a race against myself. I'm not trying to come in first or even try to finish before one of my friends I'm racing with. I'm just trying to finish. To do better than my last race and to feel the sense of accomplishment that I was able to finish something.

I knew that I wanted to run this morning since I have dinner plans after work, which meant waking up at least an hour earlier than usual. Woof. But, thankfully - I have Kelso. I told her to text me when she was leaving to go running and text me she did. So again, it made me accountable. I got up, brushed my teeth, stretched a bit and off I went! I couldn't have asked for better weather this morning. Today was supposed to be a 3 mile run which I did without any problems. I finished the 3 miles in 28:21 which was better than I could ask for. My goal for my Saturday runs is to run in different parts of the city. I think that I'm so used to my regular path that it has almost become to easy for me. So if I add some twists and turns in Central Park or on the West Side Highway, maybe it will challenge me more.

With 3 miles under my belt before 8 am, the day was off to a great start. Looking forward to a nice meal tonight, and it will have been worth one hour less of sleep this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment